Alan posing for me at the Chinese gate at the Botanical Gardens. One of our dates to Avery Island, LA about 13 years ago; I had him pose at a similar gate. This time he has a beard and he is my husband.
Tuesday, August 20, 2013
St. Louis has a huge botanical gardens. We got to see about half of it on this very hot day. Every plant and tree is labeled.
My favorite, maidenhair fern.
There would have been more but my camera died half way through. But there was a plant sale there and I came home with irises from all over the world.
Last Sunday, we brought a friend to the airport in St. Louis. We all got to take a tour of the Basilica there. Words cannot express the beauty of the mosaics in this church.
The liturgical balcony is 2 stories tall
The best, the Pieta. I got to touch the bronze copy of Michelangelo stunning sculpture.You are allowed to.Probably will be the only time in my life, I can touch a sculpture by my favorite artist.
You can see where people have touched the sculpture over the years. The knee, the cut, Mary's hand.
This Basilica was like stepping into a jeweled box.
Saturday, August 10, 2013
Here is Zilla at 1 year old. She will be full grown with a weight around 200lbs. Her parents are both very large. Unlike, Osa who is on the smaller side for a German Shepherd around 70 lbs.
We have been looking to keep weight on her and normal dog food is not cutting it. So we are supplementing her diet with raw cow legs, dry food and canned food. Both dogs patrol night and day on our farm, lots of energy.
I can get these cow legs three dollars a bucket full at my local butchers. I have to dig out the ones I want to bring home. The flies are free. I can choose from goats, cow or sheep and pigs. But I know my girls like cow.
My yard looks like a forensics body farm lab. Cow parts and other things strewn about the yard to keep my dogs happy.
Zilla is very happy.
Tuesday, August 6, 2013
I was asked if I could fix a vintage hand quilted wedding ring quilt. The quilt was sewn in the 1980's using poly/cotton blend fabrics and washed and dried multiple times before I got it. The problem was that several pieces were threadbare.
Some parts were missing. Some fabric just needed stabilizer added to save the original fabric.
Worn pieces were lifted, stabilized and resewn in place.
I traced each piece and hand appliqued over the original piece, preserving the original work.
Hand quilting each new replacement.
My handmade puzzle pieces.
Sewn and ready to live a bit longer.
Quilt in progress. I used safety pins to mark the places needing repairs. It was over 100 tiny pieces and took 2 solid weeks to fix. The finished quilt was given as a wedding present from a mother-in-law to the bride.