Monday, January 29, 2018

Farm Scenes



Our farm has woods and pastures and we get deer. They are frequent visitors to our place even though we do not feed them. They have a pond for water and plenty of acorns and pastures for food.


My single male knot head drake. We sold off all nine of the drakes last fall saving this one.                         We had too much fighting and not enough egg laying. 


He was one I had hand raised out of three last summer. We kept him to keep the girls happy. I do not think he is fertile and that is fine. We have had our fill of ducklings for a while.


My super broody hen. She hatches but never leaves the nest. I end up bringing her brood inside to hand raise. She gave me 4 clutches last year. Most of the chicks ended up being roosters. Last year was the summer of roosters for my farm. At one point I had 11 young roosters around. I culled all but 3. I kept the largest, the prettiest and one of many colors. Changing roosters gives me a nice variety each year in chicks. Plus I add a few I pick up at auction or sales. Lots of eggs and good health are my goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment