Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Weenter Break


This is my youngest and largest cat Frosty. He had the right idea these few cold weeks, naps and lots of them. I was busy keeping my poultry from freezing. I raised their roost bar to 3 feet above the floor of the coop, tons of straw and shavings, kept regular light bulbs on 24/7. I hang several chains on each light to prevent falls on to the straw. That has worked for years with several new lights to replace the old dusty spidery non working ones. All my chicks hatched under their hens in this artic freeze and I have very early chicks for this new year. 


The snow melted into ice then to mud. February mud is weird. It is very slippery as the ground is still frozen under the dirt. So boots and cleats in the mud for now. We have a warm up in the 50's here and that means duck puddles abound. We have rain a snow predicted by next week again. So I am potting up seedlings and getting ready for spring planting of young starts. Broccoli, peppers, rosemary, celery, lisianthus and some carrots. I am looking forward to getting things growing again.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment