Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Planting Season


It has been a very busy March here on the farm. Our only piece of furniture for lounging - our futon -broke! You find out just how poorly made something is when it breaks on the welds. But we went to the hardware store and bought steel brackets and heavy bolts and together with a thick 2 x 4; we had made a new support in one day. With the price of things going up and up saving time and money DIYing ourselves works.

We had some freezes here in March so my seedlings had to get pampered at night. Onions, cabbages, lettuce, cold stuff was fine. But tomatoes, peppers, flowers and herbs needed heat mats and a bit of propane. Our last frost date is late April here in the Ozarks. I will have most covered and in the ground by then.
This year I am planting more peas and flowers. I planted way too much stuff we do not eat as often. Too many cucumbers, okra and peppers. This spring will be cold flowers, tomatoes, half as many cucumbers, melons, lettuce and herbs. Three kinds of basil for us this season cinnamon, lemon and thai. Along with growing our own food, I will be canning again for all three growing seasons. Our green beans and our tomatoes all canned and saved many a grocery bill.
We are waiting to get the Covid vaccine. In April everyone in Missouri can get the vaccine, finally. So my husband will get his first then I will go. That way one of us can care for the other if there are problems.
The churches and area schools are mostly back to the old normal. Everyone is trying to return to before the pre pandemic times. I would rather move forward instead of backwards. I am working hard enjoying farm life and so happy not to be in the big cities. I do miss my beach time and I miss felling the wind on my face. I do not like the mask wearing. I do not have to wear a mask on my farm and that is wonderful.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment