Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Oh the possumbilities!


This morning I headed out early to get farm feed for the poultry before the storms come again. I saw in the dirt road a dead possum had been hit. As I drove around the dead possum I had a feeling to go back. So I back up and parked and went to at least move the body off the road way. What I thought was possum guts were actually joeys still alive all over mom and the dirt road. I went back to my truck and got a box, towels and put my flashers on. 
Mom was cold, stiff and dead but the joeys were making noise and moving about. I put some in my carry all as another driver stopped to lend a hand. I put my hand inside the dead possum pouch and found several more joeys. I got about ten live ones and three dead ones. I put the living ones in the box along with a towel and hand warmers. I moved the dead ones off  to the side of the road and talked to the other driver. But I knew what needed to be done. I took them to a person who knows more about how to care for these things.


After a chat, I had a list of items I needed to get for feeding/caring for them. I am already set up for emergency newborn kitten care. It will be a challenge as some were hurt in the accident. But I will help where I can. The nice thing is they will be returned to the wild when they are old enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment