Saturday, February 8, 2020

King Cake Season



Even though I live in the Ozarks I still miss king cakes from Louisiana. Even though I have an older brother living there, it is too expensive to ship these here. So I buckled down and searched my recipes. I found the best one to be from King Arthur Flour. I always have flour, milk and eggs on hand.

I added dry malt and dough enhancer to give it more lift and fullness. My yeast did the job but sometimes you need fluffy. It is a basic brioche recipe with filling. I only had green sugar on hand. So using sugar and food coloring I made gold and purple. Not a bad braid as it has been over 20 years since I worked in a bakery. Thanks to Mary Lee donuts and Albertson's bakery I learned a ton of baking skills while going to college.


Icing while hot.


Final product. It was fluffy, soft and very tasty. King Cake made from scratch in the Ozarks because that is how we roll on the farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment