Friday, March 10, 2023

Brass Tacks


I have been asked how I restore things. I take lots of photos as I take the item apart, label and bag all the parts and document it all.
I make sure the item is 100% brass is not magnetic before I proceed. I have several large and extra large stainless steel pans to boil the brass in a pool of vinegar until the lacquer falls off. Indoors this makes it hard to breathe so if you can do outside do it. Also, old lacquer gets all over everything when it boils off.

This is thick old lacquer that is peeling and shedding. However I used a torch to burn off this hard lacquer.


All the pieces ready for polish with 0000 steel wool ,the alcohol to remove grease then lacquer by Mohawk and put back together again.



I use these buffers on a drill for extra shine.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment