Sunday, March 5, 2023

Restoration of a tabernacle


This was a tough one to restore. The before is on my phone but basically all the original 50 year old lacquer had crumbled and alligatored the brass tabernacle. I took this apart and boiled the parts in vinegar but then winter arrived and I put the whole thing away as my studio is unheated. Then I was asked about it and asked to get it done. So all the pieces were cleared of lacquer except the door and the main body. I had to use a torch to get that hard lacquer off. I then polished and lacquered the brass. Every single bolt, nut and screw was saved and restored, polished and reassembled. It turned out quite stunning. In my haste to get it done I forgot to take a photo after. I will post soon after Easter. It is being used again after sitting dormant for decades. The new priest for our parish prefers the old style of tabernacle instead of the mod one currently used.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment