Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Big Green Sweetness

Update: we cut this up and it lived up to its sweetness. Every part of the vine, stem and spoons were dried up before we picked it.And it had a yellow belly (or end for us) from sitting on the ground.



This year I grew watermelons from seeds I saved from a very sweet melon we ate last year. I could not remember what the melon looked like but that it was sweet. I started them in my greenhouse in May and them planted them on a pile of dry horse manure we dumped on a meadow. I had 6 melons come up and ripen this month. They are about 16 pounds, ready for harvest. I talked to many farmers about when to pick and have nailed it. Yellow bottom, deep hollow thump, shriveled vine/spoons. And my dogs kept the groundhogs, coons and deer off my melons. And I have success with these planted next to my pumpkin patch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment