Friday, April 24, 2020

Egg Grenade

Photo taken by Henry Hargreaves
This morning I was again checking on my broody duck and her clutch in the coop. Nothing has hatched in her nest in over a month and the nest is full of eggs. My male ducks are molting right now so the eggs are not fertilized. But I gave the duck the benefit of doubt just in case. This morning I moved mama duck so I could see any hatches. BAM sulfur bomb all over me and the nest and the coop.Gleefully mama duck snatched up the broken shells and ate the sulfur egg. I walked out of the coop covered in egg sulfur. Every fly and vulture in the area moved in to follow the aroma. I still had to plant taro and ginger, while a swarm of flies followed me around the garden. I should know better but I really wanted some ducklings this spring. I will have to shove some duck eggs under a hen instead. The broody hen hatches the ducklings and I raise them indoors, works best on my farm. My ducks are just not good mamas.My hens are great at hatching.

No comments:

Post a Comment