Thursday, March 8, 2018

Talented Photographer Phillip Haumesser

One of the neat things about living in the Ozarks is that you meet a lot of multi talented people. One is Phillip Haumesser, photographer. If you are looking for a beautiful images and a person who can deal with farm animals and children, this is your guy. He is worth a look if you want beauty in the natural wild state try this photographer.

Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Saving the humeral veil

Our church has been around for over 40 years or so and in that time no one has washed a single vestment. We have a temporary priest in house who noticed the poor condition of the vestments as the elder priest now has dementia.

So with the Adoration on  Lent Sundays the humeral veil was in the state of a mess. Tarnished clasp, smelly neckband, stains from a leaky roof onto the fabric and threadbare silk and fringe.

The fringe is falling apart.

The original rayon satin fabric is shredding and has to be replaced. Our small Ozark mission church does not have the funds to replace these vestments. So I offered to repair them as I repair and restore antique textiles

The original clasp is missing gold leaf.

Poly fringe is tattered.

My plan was to cut out the original brocade, turn under and applique to the new fabric of the veil.

But the brocade was shedding. I also was pressed for time. There are no fabrics stores nearby nor on-line that carry this brocade.

So I took it all apart and began to salvage the brocade.

Now I remove stitches and flip the brocade over to use the wrong side of the brocade for the new veil.

The wrong side looks great.

glue removal 

I used tulle to give the fibers strength.

Newly leafed clips on the new fabric next to the old ones. I have real gold leaf paint and I sealed with shellac all done outside as the fumes are combustible.

pinning on the old brocade on the new fabric.

Sewing it down

Since my studio has a wood stove and cats, I have to cover everything with muslin and clean every surface. I do not want soot and cat fur on this very ivory fabric.

hand sewing the veil clips

I was able to match the fringe.

The original brocade of the newly sewn veil.

All set to go again. All the scraps from the old humeral veil were collected and put in a bag and given to the priest to burn. These are holy things and must be treated with respect. The new veil was blessed the next day in time for the Adoration. This was the fastest restoration I have ever done.

Enough Animals! Quilt

After many long months I finally finished and mailed off my Grandniece Riley, her first quilt. It was a group effort for my husband and I. We chose the fabrics, layout, animals and final quilting together.
Not for the faint of heart this project of ours. Many late nights, arguments, thread pulling, re-cutting and sewing and frustration as there was no pattern to follow. Along with this large project, we had funerals, church drama, sick friends, job drama, farm drama and life.

I chose the river as I love water and all animals gather at the rivers.

We call this quilt Enough Animals! as that is how we decided to stop adding anymore animals to this quilt top.

I am a very tactile person so I wanted this quilt to be textural. Fluffy fun fur, velour, tulle, and even corduroy fabrics were used. All fabrics were pre-washed and treated to prevent bleeding. I washed every single piece of fabrics and color tested each one. This entire quilt is washable and will not run. And it can be hung on the wall as well. This is why it took so long to do. So many measures were taken to keep this quilt strong and rich looking over time.

I did machine embroidery and trapunto work under the trees and animals.

Tulle bees wings by my own invention and yes, machine washable.

We raise honey bees and so this quilt had to have a lot of bees. One day Riley might get to see our hives.

We have many owls in the Ozarks.

My husband found this flame fabric so I had to use it.

Closeup of the machine stitch work.

The sleeping female fox.

The happy turtle has floppy feet.

Gecko on the trunk

A leaf on the back for the label. I made this from my husbands mothers vintage embroidery machine.

Flannel fabric on the back for softness and fuller quilting.

I had enough scraps to make a single baby bib with minky fabric cheeks.