We went to clean out and get our wood stove winter ready and this was discovered. A broken ceramic sleeve for the metal tube that takes the smoke up the chimney.
Yes this is broken and not safe to use.
This was caused by our house settling. So we have no one around us who can fix this. We have called and no one wants to drive 3 hours to get to our place in the Ozarks to repair this. And the cold is coming next week. Around here people just do it themselves. But I am not a chimney sweep. So we called the guy who originally put this in for his advice but that answer will have to wait until tomorrow. Supplies we got and the store 45 minutes away has the fireplace cement. So it is looking like I am going to do this myself. Will have to post what happens in the next few days.
And while this is happening, we also have a leaking new pressure tank. The guys who put it in have not returned to fix this leak. This is the 3rd plumber who has not returned to our place in the last few years. Apparently, this is a common thing with some repair people in the Ozarks so I have been told by several locals.