Friday, November 2, 2018

Restoring Raggedy Ann


 A friend recently took down her old house to make room for her new one. In the attic she found her long abandoned childhood 36 inch Raggedy Ann doll. The clothes were gone and the doll was in a bad state. So she threw it into the washer and it got worse for the doll. She knew I restored quilts, furniture and bones and asked if I could restore her doll. Sigh. The only good news was the eyes are still made if you hunt around for them. The bad news is that the fabric is very fragile now.



The face stain is from the original cardboard behind the eyes. It was also a metal ferrule under the  wet cardboard.


Eyes are sold in lots and not pairs.

Looks better with the new ones.


Hair is matted up thanks to her dryer and pulled into a knot.

Opening the neck to pull out stains.



Had a tear on the face as I worked.





Moth holes covered with black tulle and fabric bond.



Eyes are now in, tear is stabilized and now I am working on the hair and stuffing. After that the dress needs to be sewn and fitted.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my you do beautiful work. I have my Knickerbocker Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls but somehow they’ve lost their hair. It’s exactly like the picture you have posted here. I was hoping you could help me because I have not been able to find anyone and can’t find the right color hair. Thanks in advance for reviewing.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete