Monday, November 22, 2010

Fat Snake

Today, I heard my dog growling and not barking for a change, so I had to investigate. He was staring at a large brown snake under our firewood pile. I could not ID what kind it was but called my hubby to deal with it. Using fireplace tongs he was able to pick it up and put it into the ash can with a tight lid. It was quite heavy, no rattle, white belly, raised diamond scales, small head and dark brown top side with faint side marking. Sorry, no photo as I was too busy capturing this interloper and getting it away from my house. We walked it into the woods where we hope it will stay. Then we put bird netting under the firewood pile to prevent future hibernating snakes from moving in. Bird netting is great for stopping snakes we had learned this summer. Then I had to re-stack the firewood pile all over again. I guess the warm front today is waking up the reptiles from their slumber.

No comments:

Post a Comment