Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Carcass Soup

I have been making soups from scratch to save our health and money. Our healthy eating through reduced salt, preservatives and canned chemicals by home made. I have a great book, Nourishing Traditions, that has simple and basic recipes that are healthy. I can in glass so no chemicals there.
This week I thawed out my leftover Christmas 5lb turkey carcass and cooked it down. I added veggies and rice along with spices and canned 4 quarts. The soups came out very good! So much better than store bought. I gave some to my neighbor since I had so much. He ended up sharing the turkey soup with his young puppy. That pup has not been eating at the vets office and came home to recover from an illness. The turkey soup was a hit with the pup. It is now eating the soup with rice. The vet said my soup is called carcass soup. I had never heard that term for soup before. But in a way it was a turkey carcass I used as stock. It was worth the effort of cooking down and using that bird. And on a cold day fresh soup is the best. Who knew a turkey carcass could be so useful long after the holidays are over.

1 comment: