Thursday, February 2, 2012

Junior Takes Over


Here is the son of our old rooster that passed away last week. Junior has stepped up to fill in the rooster role on our farm. We also have two Rhode Island Red roosters that slipped in my pullet chick order last fall. So we now have three young roosters on our farm from the 9 roosters we had last week. Four were slaughtered and two died in battle on the farm. From now on any new roosters will be for the dinner table now that I know how to do it. I have learned how to tell a good rooster for the flock versus one for the table.
One thing I was told by other chicken/egg farmers was that the farm chicken meat smells and taste bad. That was all hooey, farm raised chickens taste great! They eat the best bugs and veggies the farm can provide. In truth, it's no fun to have to slaughter my own, it is messy and kinda sad (that is why I don't name my chickens). But the benefits are a healthier flock and free dinner on the table. And I can see the insides of my chicken to see the health of it. I opened the stomach to see what my rooster had been eating on the farm. It was a little of everything. Healthy chickens, tasty meat and eggs makes a happy farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment