Friday, June 29, 2018

Welsh on Me


For a long while now I have only had one male duck for 25 female ducks. I needed another male to take up the slack and make my girls happy. I had sold off all the males after things got tough financially on our farm last fall. No point feeding male ducks that just eat all winter. So I made cages and took them to auction and kept the females for eggs.
But as summer is in full swing this year, most small animals auction are closed do to summer travel and the heat. So I did not have many options looking for a male duck. I could have ordered male ducklings but they would not be old enough for my flocks needs. I needed a teenage or adult male duck. Luckily, I have facebook friends and one had a male Welsh Harlequin they were going to sell at the local farmers market last weekend. I went to take a look and verify it was a he. But it was fully feathered and I could not find his vent. I felt dumb, but it was hot outside,the duck was good natured and I took a gamble. This week he joined my flock and has adapted well. He goes in with the flock at night. He has beautiful feathers and a sweet personality. I think he will make pretty ducklings this fall and winter. The funny thing is that my Indian Runner ducks I thought were all female- aren't. This week I saw curly tails for three of the eight I have. So I now have all new males on my farm. This means a new chapter in the variety I will raise.

No comments:

Post a Comment