Sunday, December 27, 2009

Country Trash


I have moved around a lot and have always had trash picked up from the curb or some trash service. Here in the Ozarks where I live; they do not have a trash service provided by the city. If you have trash you can burn it in your own burn barrel, drop it off at a collection site near town, hire a private service or take it to the dump yourself. So this is a big deal for a city girl turned country. It takes a lot of time to organize the recyclables, separate the plastics and bag the true trash if you have never done that before in your life.
The plus side is that my compost has never been so rich. I have put all my greens and organics back into the earth. And this spring I will have great soil for my gardens.
With this do it yourself trash, I have to think about what I have, what I am bringing and what I need to dispose of. We load up our trailer and drive down to the trash recycling center 30 minutes from town. Our trash center tells us what goes where and how much it cost for them to dump it.
The biggest waste I have is food packaging. So much plastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment