Saturday, June 5, 2010

My First Horses






I have always wanted a horse. We have been going all over to breeders and auctions looking for older horses that were good to ride. Gaited horses were a plus. On Friday I was dropping off sign letters for our Mill and was killing time at the horse auction. And I saw a big dapple gray mare. She looked good. So I went home to my husband and he said take an expert with you to make sure she is a good one. My horseman neighbor said both mares looked good, but were very pregnant, and that was a bonus. We saw the stud both were Fox Trotters. So the foals should be a gaited too.
The auction lasted until 1am in the morning and we won both mares. And we had no horse trailer. But a kind father and his daughter had a four horse trailer and were willing to bring our mares home for us. So our two mares got to spend the night in our goat pen. And this morning I awoke to see my horses in my yard, what a neat thing. Now the work begins, vets, farrier, hay, fence and grain. Going to be a very busy horse owner from now on. If anyone has any name ideas, please post them. We need two names for these 10 year old mares and soon their foals. One is a gray and the other a dark chestnut.

No comments:

Post a Comment