Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Cathedral Windows Quilt


I have always loved the simple beauty of the cathedral windows quilts. It is a great way to use up scraps and you don't have to quilt it! You piece and add as you go with muslin as the background. The tedium is in the making of the muslin squares and sewing by hand. It takes time to sew by hand. Tiny stitches make for a sturdier quilt but do consume a lot of time. But I am happy with the results I am getting using tiny stitches to sew the "windows" inside the muslin.
I chose natural muslin as it already looks old and dirt won't show up as easily. This style of quilting also makes a heavy quilt. Mine will be a king size quilt and will take a lot of time to make. But this type of project you can pick up and put down throughout the year. I will post more photos as I begin to join the groups of windows.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this beautiful quilt. I have been obsessed with it lately! Your pictures are great!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete