Saturday, December 17, 2011

Mastitis and Luna




On Thursday I noticed my gray mare, Luna, was away from the herd and not eating. Luna eats more than she breathes, so I knew something was wrong. I put her in the stall and looked her over. The last thing I checked were her teats. They were warm and one was swollen and she did not like the touch. So I called the vet and he said to bring her over. We spent the afternoon preparing the trailer, truck and winter tires. Luna is trailer trained and she went right in the trailer.It is very hard to inflate truck tires with a basic car tire unit. It took an hour to get to the vet in Houston, Missouri, but we made it. I walked Luna for the vet and he hoof checked her. Her temp was normal but her hoof and teat were tender. So we put our vet put her on some bute and we are watching to see how she goes. The good news is that she is eating again and is running with the herd.

No comments:

Post a Comment