Thursday, March 7, 2013

The Long Hatch

About a two weeks ago my game hen was due to hatch her clutch in the coldest part of the year. I looked under her and two chicks were dry and hungry, but she did not leave the nest. So I put them in the brooder inside the kitchen. Next day another chick and still my hen refuses to leave the nest. After the first week I had 4 chicks. This week I have 6 chicks and my hen still does not leave the nest. So I have chicks of all sizes and ages inside my kitchen brooder box. While their mom is a great broody hen, she has gotten careless with her chicks. With chicken prices soaring these days, it is worth it save them from harm and let them grow up strong.

Americana and a Rhode Island Red chicks

Cute little red rooster and another Americana

Gotta love the grey/green legs and chipmunk stripes of this chick.





No comments:

Post a Comment