Thursday, December 5, 2013

Blizzard Blueberries

I had a busy day yesterday getting the farm set for the snow. I thought I'd just take today off and rest. No such luck. There is a knock at the door and the Fed Ex guy delivers a box full of blueberry bushes. I was not expecting this as I received no advanced warning from the nursery. I had ordered these 3 months ago for an October delivery. I thought they lost the order.

With the sleet and snow coming down I have no choice. 
I have to get these 12 bushes in the ground before it freezes. My husband has a meeting until dark so I have to get going while the light is still available.

My trusty helper dog, Zilla.

Into the UTV I got dirt, wood chips and shovels. The sleet has gotten heavy now.

This is just 4 minutes and the seats are frozen and getting covered in ice.

Osa and Zilla watch me dig 12 holes. Luckily the ground is not frozen, yet.

Almost done.These blueberries will go dormant in the 
winter and be ready for new growth in the springtime. Looking forward to a 
harvest of berries next spring.
Not looking forward to getting in that cold frozen seat. I got it all done by dark. But still had to plant a single grape vine. Husband joined the fun. He helped tuck in the chickens and ducks in the coop. I got to drive around in the cold night blizzard for fun after planting was done. I was already cold and had to tuck in the UTV under tarps. And I have frozen smile face on to prove it.

No comments:

Post a Comment