Thursday, October 31, 2019

Given a Brother

  My whole world changed this week after I opened a letter from a stranger. The letter said I have a half older brother. We share the same mother but have different fathers. He is just 4 years older than me. I had never been told about any other siblings, just myself and my younger brother. I was always the oldest but now I am a middle child. This was discovered after a DNA test and some sleuthing by my oldest brother and his wife. And for that I am so grateful.
  Thanks to their persistence I am able to get answers to what I felt I have been missing in my life. A hole I have felt but ignored. I was told there was a boy stillborn before I was born. I had no idea he was given to an orphanage.I have been lied to and about my whole life. A lie that has festered for 54 years of my brothers life. A lie that has moved us all over the country constantly running from some invisible thing my mother created.A demon that rode me and my older brother very hard in our life.
  But this week that all stopped. A huge wave of shock, sadness then fulfillment washed over me as I got to talk to my oldest brother. To hear the voice of someone familiar with French inflection that is wiser and very similar to my own. He calmly told me his family history, he knows who is his biological father and our mother thanks to DNA. He just wanted to meet his blood siblings and get to know them. Since this is the part of his life he has been missing.
  I have been given an loving older brother who has open arms and has welcomed me into his very  open life and loving family. There is no greater gift to me than having a family that also shares some of my DNA but also wants me around. I am looking forward to meeting him and his family in the flesh.
My older half brother Thomas 


Our grandparents

Our mother

It is ironic that I have located so many missing people and here a piece of mine fell right into my lap. I did not even know I was missing a piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment