Thursday, September 17, 2020

The Big Finish


Last year I was given a bag of cherished baby clothes from a mother of four. She lives in Chicago and has been longing for a queen quilt with these clothes on them. Her mother is a quilter but she just could not manage a project this big. I was given the clothes and color request of red, white and blue and all the clothes left whole, not cut up. I have done several t-shirt quilts where I cut up the shirts. This was my first foray into baby clothes.


And the finally quilt was 83 x 106 inches queen size sewing machine quilted not long armed. It is very heavy and quilted all over. Some clothes were stuffed for a 3D effect. The quilt was so big I had to baste it on my living room floor. After the quilt was done, We used our drone to shoot the photos of the finished quilt. That is my roof line on my black king sized photo frame. I had to add extra tables into my sewing studio to hold this quilt up for quilting. I also used every sewing foot and clamp I could find to keep tension while quilting. We just do not have the space for a long arm quilt machine. And I can easily quilt smaller ones without a long arm machine. But all in all this turned out very nice. The client is happy and that is what counts. I used heavy magnets wrapped in white gaffer tape to hold the quilt on the frame for the photo shoot.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment