Thursday, March 8, 2012

Endangered Sticker Pig


This is our sticker pig. He began life as a piggy bank but has morphed into a sticker holding depot. It began when grocery stores began putting those little annoying stickers all over every piece of produce they sold. Used to be only on bananas, now they are all over everything. When washing the produce I used to make a pile of them along my sink. This was annoying my husband, so I put them on the ugly window pig by the sink. And so the sticker pig was born out of the need to keep the sink unclogged of stickers. This represents years of produce purchases from all over the world. Very sad to think about how we have used up so many resources to get produce year round from all over the world anytime we want it. That is an unsustainable way to live and eat. My goal is to let this pig become obsolete by growing my own produce instead.
Tomatoes, broccoli, lettuce, potatoes, onions, apples and pears can all be grown by my own hands. And my fellow farmers with greenhouses can trade me for the tropical produce I might crave. This is sustainable and without all the annoying little stickers.

No comments:

Post a Comment