Friday, June 8, 2018

Radish Me, Baby!


After lots of heat in May, I have  French Breakfast Radish to harvest. Lots of them in fact. They pop out of the ground when ready. They are a milder radish almost sweet in flavor if picked young. 

I have grown also grown Daikon Japanese radish. My first one was too small to harvest but was wonderful raw. But guess what? Daikon smell awful in the fridge if left open. I read up on Korean Daikon fermentation and yup, it reeks. But the Daikon is very mild and worth the smell- if you pickle. They are a refreshing way to get your veggies.


Now back to the pinks. So what to do with all these French radish? Pickle them! Since this is my first go for radish, I chose the refrigerator picking for try outs. They stained themselves pink in the jar, how cool is that?  I will try the sauteing of onions and butter with toast and poached eggs next- traditional French Breakfast radish fare.


This was a great way to get my feet wet pickling something other than a cucumber. Worth the effort of growing them. Radish are ready in 30 days time. And my rabbits can eat the radish leaves, of which there are many. 
I also planted 3 kinds of cucumbers, 4 kinds of pumpkins and 3 kinds of eggplant this season. Along with cabbages, lettuce, green beans, tomatoes and herbs. Yes, I am finally achieving my gourmet garden. All thanks to a tiller, horse/rabbit/chicken manure, sweat, cuts and bruises and lots and lots of mistakes and sweet tea along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment