Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Antique Ironing Stool Restoration begins



I saw this at a yard sale at a friends farm and no one wanted it. I have never seen nor used one but wow do I need one. Modern ironing boards are tall, heavy, rickety and take up a lot of space. This well used by a single family for generations was what I have been looking for. 



It is the right height for my short frame, heavy duty ironing table converts to a stool in short order. This means I can use it then have a table or stool nearby.The leg had be replaced well at some point to continue it usefulness. However there are many coats of oil based paint on this stool. And the original padding is dry rotted. Restoration begins while the weather is good.


Tools of the restoration


The original turquoise blue paint under the white.

Slipped in layers of muslin and padding


Yes, that is horsehair under there.


 After diving into the stool the paint removal will be a long chore. I need to take it apart and stripping will go faster. So I have to stop and work on caging extra roosters and planting my tomatoes. Rain is called for soon and the garden waits for no one.

No comments:

Post a Comment