Thursday, April 16, 2020

Hurry up and Spring already!



It was two weeks ago I planted all my seeds in our greenhouse. The next day a mouse got in dug out and ate all the seeds. Wire mesh in hand I stapled and meshed any and all parts of the greenhouse and replanted the seedlings. Then the below freezing nights started. I had to shut the doors and double plastic the seedlings. I am still doing this as snow is predicted. I will not bring these into my house. Nope, not gonna do it. Outside they stay. And this is where I am now. I have lettuce, cabbage, tomato, basil, dill, cucumbers and okra growing happily in the greenhouse.
Then I went to put black plastic sheeting on the garden to kill the weeds. I upended 50 billion  wintering red ants all over me and the garden at the same time. Did not care, just kept on pinning the plastic down until it was done. Then I took off my boots, jeans and shirt to shake out all the ants. Only got stung on my feet and waist. The cold made them a bit slow. Next, I put out ant baits to stop this ant plague. They just picked up the blue ant bait disc and threw it at me on my way out the garden. Undeterred, I will spread diatomaceous earth at them next week. I have a garden to set and ants will not stop me.


On another note the lilacs are in bloom. These were planted as a hedge by the previous owner of our farm. They come back each spring. They are pretty but to me smell like moth balls. But the bees love them and visitors love them. I like how they hide our propane tank. I think that is why the previous owners planted them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment