Sunday, July 25, 2021

Dead things and suntea


The rains we got two weeks ago have left us now in the Ozarks. It is the drought time of year for us now. High 90 heat and 78% humidity. It brings out the wildlife for water. An armadillo met its maker via my shepherd this week. I was not in a hurry to deal with it and so the smell began and the flies. This brought about the vultures, natures clean up crew. The deceased dillo was only about 30 feet away from the house. 
I set out my jar of sun tea for the day. About three hours later I checked on the tea. The lid was covered in blood droplets from the vulture fly overs. I had to toss the tea and wash the jar and start over. I moved the dead dillo into the far pasture first. This made the vultures happy with free range snacking and me happy for blood free tea. Ah the joys of Ozarks farm living.

I have been busy in the garden with Kajari melons, tomatoes and cucumbers.

The Kajari love this heat and are very nice hand sized one person serving sized melons. I can understand the devotion to these small sweet melons. They are very tasty. They fall off the vine when ripe. I bag mine to prevent bug damage. They trellis up very well. Worth the price for the first seed packs. Now I have many seeds saved as each melon is loaded with seeds.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment